View Single Post
Old 4th September 2015, 05:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - Hi Ian, sorry if my rambling posts haven't made the basic plan clear, but your reply sums the general ideal.

As I started with a gap between two separate fibreglass sections.

Then bridged that gap by using fibreglass matting on the underside, covering a large area either side of the join in overlapping layers.

Whilst this creates a pretty solid section on one side, the original gap is a potential weakness on the sunny side.

Rather than just use filler, I ground this out on either side and then added more matting wider that the original gap to add back strength across the join.

At this point, the bonnet has effectively become a single unit with no "fault line", just needing some filler to hide any evidence of the "surgery".

However, in this case, the bonnet will get some extra work, just to be on the safe side, given that it can be left in the (less supported) open position.

So I will be add some fibreglass bracing across the full width of the underside so that it holds its shape better, reducing any natural flex.

Also, once the body shell is bonded to the internal framework, I will add a extra layer of matting along the rear bonnet edge.

But whether this matting is on the sunny side, underside, or a mixture of both, depends on how well the scuttle & bonnet actually lines up.

Then the final body work shaping can take place until the body shell & bonnet look like they form part of the same car.

Overall, I am really pleased with how this is coming along, as I had no idea if I could actually pulls this off when I started.

I guess my frustration with the passenger corner is linked to all the recent rain delays.

But the simple fact is I couldn't think of a better way of doing this, so even though it is slow progress, at least it is still progress.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ed - Symmetry?

Don't start using the "S" work when referring to this build!

Jokes aside, the thing I need to remember is that this car will still give a good "first impression", despite its faults.

So whilst I know all the areas that are not quite right, this is largely a case of not seeing the wood for the trees.

I am also sure that some BRG paint will complete the transformation into the essence of a 1950s race car.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hopefully I will get a chance to make a start on the other corner of the bonnet today.

Cheers, Paul.