View Single Post
Old 21st August 2016, 14:25

Old Jock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeSoarer View Post
Hi Paul

I will be following your thread with interest. I'm looking for a project and I think the Firano T48 might fit the bill. Like you I've looked at building a 7 type kit but somehow none of them quite do it for me after having owned a Caterham. I fancy something which doesn't scream boy racer but has something with character about it. I've been looking at Morganesque 3 wheelers (JZR, Triking, etc) and Porsche Speedsters.

What I like about the Firano T48 is that it is Spitfire based and although loosely base on a Ferrari it could be one of a number from that era... oh and they look great!

Keep up the good work and I'll keep checking in.

Simon
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I also had considered the 3 wheelers but, on balance, just thought that they didn't quite offer the opportunity for a little "spirited driving" should the mood or conditions require it. As you say, it could easily be an Alfa or any of the other Italian tuning houses from the post-war years and that's why I love it as I was born in 1950 so am also from the same era! At the moment, progress is slow as I have had a few medical problems, but I am on the mend and hope to get some welding done soon - despite what my wife says We are also going away on holiday in a couple of weeks so more unwanted delay. AARGH! I can honestly say that I think the T48 kit is of a good quality and that Mick (of Fiorano) is a nice guy to deal with and well worth a phone call to have a chat with about the kit build etc. I paid £10 for an e copy of the build manual to have a look at the kit construction plans etc before I made a decision and you get this back if you go ahead and buy the kit from him. The kit comes in small sub-packs which are all well wrapped and itemised on the outside of the packs to help identification and make the assembly order more obvious and easy and all in all I'm very pleased with it. You should also have a chat with Car Photographer as he (another Paul by the way) recently"finished" the build of his T48. See Fiorano T48 Build thread.
Good luck with whichever kit you choose and don't forget to start a build thread - if nothing else, it will help you maintain a bit of momentum.
Cheers,
Paul (A)