View Single Post
Old 24th November 2016, 13:00

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

Hi
so firstly, no - I haven't tried charging around twist roads - to me it feels very hard and bumpy and when you corner it feels quite unstable - like it wouldn't want to go too fast, so when I have driven it I've taken it easy (with no roll bar protection and given my accident in the Porsche last year, I'm probably being overly cautious but I just feel very nervous driving it too fast )

Basicly - with the old suspension setup there was almost no give when you try to push the body down.
now with the new suspension mods there is a bit more give - I have only driven it about 100 meters up the driveway so far, but it does feel more comfortable than it did.
there is no lowering block - by the look of the clearance under the body - there wouldn't be room for a lowering block anyway (not sure if this was just how it was built or if it could be altered for your build) but the large gap between the body and the diff on the donor spitfire doesn't exist anymore on this car. Anyway I think the lowering block actually produces more negative camber which is the opposite of what we want here.

I've been going through old pics while we built the car and by the looks of it there was always a bit of negative camber on the car anyway - its just that this new suspension mod has accentuated that camber slightly so now it looks a bit more extreme.

I've had alot of people trying to give advice - most of the spitfire forums aren't helpful - I think maybe they don't understand the fact that the car is much lighter now and so haven't ever come across this issue.
the sammio forum on here has given some good advice and various ideas - and also Mick at Fiorano has helped a bit too.

at the moment there seems like a couple of viable options -
1. changing the half shaft length to the shorter ones.
2. Fitting the adjustable vertical link mod.
3. getting a bespoke leaf spring made up to the correct length and weight ratio needed to adjust the camber.

The vertical link mod might be the cheapest, but would require welding onto the link and that could be difficult to get done properly,
the half shafts are going to be hassle because you'd need to pull both hubs and rebuild them to fit the shorter shafts - canley classics used to provide ready made ones, but they don't anymore.
The custom spring looks like it could be the most expensive option (around £300 to £400 to get it made up) but actually fitting it would be far easier than the other two options. So at the moment I am tempted to pay more money just to get an easier fix, but still haven't decided really.

The wing supports will hopefully be made up by next week, he was supposed to do them this week but got sidetracked by other jobs.

any more news on yours yet?