Thread: Oxford build
View Single Post
Old 21st June 2013, 15:50

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I have also gone for the thicker ARB which everybody seems to say is the way to go.

Although my post isn't clear, when I was talking about shorter springs I was talking about manufactured shorter springs rather than springs that have been cut. So, if you are buying shorter springs, I think it is sensible to go for stiffer springs to avoid something going solid.

Strange as it is to grasp, shortening (by cutting) a spring does make it stiffer - the explanations are out there. If you need to convince yourself, put a spring on your bathroom scales and wedge a bar in the top coil and compress it. Then put the bar a few coils further down (imagining that you have cut off the coils above) and try and compress it by the same amount. You will need to apply more force to achieve the same compression.

Without proper bench equipment (and given the age of some of the springs that are being cut) it will always be difficult to get it right first time. It's a case of trial and error until you are get it right, and careful driving until you do.