View Single Post
Old 15th September 2015, 12:53

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Micky1Mo & Swifty - Cheers Chaps.

There are definitely both pros & cons associated with using/modifying the original Spitfire loom.

But at least I was able to test all of the lighting circuits "indoors", which was a big help.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Monday:
Good timing meant that I didn't work on the car and get caught out with the sudden downpours that rolled in throughout the day.

But bad timing meant I was actually out on my push bike when one of these storms arrived out of nowhere and I got drenched.
( Riding through traffic with hail coming down so hard it actually hurts, is not my idea of a good time! )

Tuesday:
Good timing today meant I picked one small job to do and managed to be done and dusted before the rain arrived again.

While looking at the wiring loom in the boot area I remembered that I still needed to fit the cover over the suspension mounting bolts.

You may remember that fitting the lowering block makes this area sit proud of where the original Spitfire cover would sit.

Way back in May 2014, I did the modification work required to turn the original Spitfire cover...

Into Frankenlid...

So I put the screw fixings into position and added a layer of sealing compound.

Tightened the 4 screws and spread the squeezed out sealing compound along the edge of the join.

It just needs a final lick of paint.

It is funny how the little jobs like this one & connecting the fuel lines really feel like big steps forward for this build.

Unfortunately, at this point the sky was getting darker...

But thankfully all the covers were back on and I was safely back indoors when the next storm hit.

New Registration Number:
I have been toying with the idea of getting an "ageless" number plate ever since I started this project.

My donor Spitfire was a 1980 "V" reg, which makes it one of the youngest Sammio/Ribble/Milgia builds on here.

However, the long running saga of getting my original V5C updated put this idea on the back burner for a while.

I had looked into the cheap NI Plates and had thought a "MIG" plate would work well, given all the bulkhead welding I did.
( This was actually before WCA and some of the other Tribute builders "next door" start getting them. )

As I could never find a traditional UK ageless plate (3 number & 3 letters, in either order) at a reasonable price.

However, Mister Towed posted something a while back on a different thread & I've shamelessly stolen his idea.

So rather than go for an "ageless" plate, I've actually just bought an "aged" plate from 1965, a suffix "C" reg.

Again, this was a great bit of timing, as this particular number only appeared on the website a few days ago.
( It was sold on behalf of a customer, so it was cheaper than normal & comparable with a NI "MIG" plate. )

After all, in this classic line up photo below, Phil & Barry both have "H" regs and Mr T himself has a "G" reg.

Given that I've always aspired to join this line up one day, at least now I will not be the odd one out with a "V" reg.

Perhaps I should claim that my car was an early "prototype", which was refined into the curvy Spyder design in later years.

I know there have been debates about using vintage B/W "show plates" on cars that don't qualify for the old style.

Well, I've decided to stay "rat legal" and use yellow and black at the rear, but with raised letters.

Something like this.

One day I would like to attend the Goodwood Revival and hopefully these little touches will help me blend in.

Period Racing:
Talking of Goodwood, I found these two short video clips on their website.

https://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-r...S7QOt6roEUt.97

https://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-r...8bxF0iuSBhf.97

These highlight the range of shapes available at the time.

Given how my build is finally shaping up, I am happy that I will end up with something that would not look out of place.

Until next time, take care, Paul.