View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:25
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Exhausted.....

I've continued working on fitting the exhaust system over the last couple of weeks. It's been a lot of trial and error trying to find the best location.

So firstly, here is the rear silencer box clamps and hangers...
This is the nearside mounting. I've used standard BMW style silencer clamps and hangers. The hanger is bolted to the Sabre's exhaust mounting point and the rear chassis rail.
Rear Silencer N/S hanger by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The offside mounting had to be bit more complicated as it has to hang from the rear chassis rail and clear the spare wheel well in the body tub. I modified the silencer clamp but the hanger is standard.

Rear Silencer O/S mount by marlinpeter, on Flickr

BMW style clamp had to be modified to get the hanger low enough to clear the spare wheel well.

Here's a view from under car. The cut in the angle bracket will be welded to stop it flexing if this design is successful.

It was then on with making something to support the middle section of the exhaust system.....

Middle Exhaust system hanger by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The hanger slots over the seat belt mounting rails. I didn't want to drill holes in the rails for fear of weakening them. The hanger bracket will be welded to the rails once I'm happy that it doesn't foul the body tub and I've finalised the front to back location of the whole exhaust system. This is the third version of this bracket so I hope it is the final.

The upper mounting rubber brackets are standard BMW parts bolted to the hanger with M10 bolts and thick walled ali tube spacer.

View from under the car.......

I've also added an extra support at the front of the 'cats' as I will be using flexi pipes between here and the front down pipes so the weight of the 'cats' can no longer be taken by the gearbox mounting bracket. (the idea of two 45 degree Jetex bends didn't work )

Exhaust System - front mount by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It's fixed to the gearbox cross-member chassis rail with an M8 steel rivnut. The angle bracket is fixed to the exhaust pipe with a standard exhaust clamp. (The M8 bolt in this shot is too long and will be replaced when I get some the right length!)

Exhaust System - front mount by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Next, I've ordered some flexi pipes to join the exhaust system to the down pipes from the exhaust manifold.

After I have finished fitting the exhaust system, I plan to refit the body tub again to check all the clearances between the tub and the fuel, brake lines and the exhaust mountings, etc. Fingers crossed that there won't be too much re-work needed

.....peter