Thread: Oops!
View Single Post
Old 29th March 2009, 22:03
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

I think 3/4 of the fun of kit car ownership is in the building and modifing and dreaming up the next alterations and improvements.

As for the bodywork no it didn't quite escape intact but not because of the removal and reinstaling of the engine and the chassis mods.

With the engine was sitting on the garage floor I was removing my gearbox adapter plate and one of the M12 cap head screws was fully rusted in. So with a resonably long bar on the end of the allen key I started standing on it. Then when that still didn't work I started bouncing on the end of the bar. That didn't work either but when the allen key finally broke there was that much tension in it that one of the bits flew off at what seemed like supersonic speed across the garage and hit the front of the car. It then carried on untill it caught the edge of the bonnet which was slightly open. After removing a chunk of that it flew up to the garage roof, bounced and then smashed into the rear wing before rattling to a halt at the back of the garage. So now got three dings to repair and ended up drilling out the cap head which really I knew I was going to have to do from the start.
Plenty of copper grease around the new cap heads.

Suppose it could have been worse - shattered windscreen, piece of allen key lodged in the brain or it might even have caught me in the bo!!ocks.