View Single Post
Old 18th August 2005, 22:50
Enthusiast

kitcarman is on a distinguished road

Hi John,
They loved its look, but had this to say concerning its engineering and driving :-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Car
“At my height your head is sticking up above the screen, and, more disconcertingly, the rollover bar

“Despite the low rev fruitiness, higher up the rev range the Python’s song is blighted by resonance and the result is more soggy flatulence than hard-edged bark .”

“On lumpier routes the Python is less impressive. Bumps and ruts seem to over-extend or over-compress the suspension, sending a wince-inducing crash through the chassis. Not what you want …. And you don’t have to be going fast to bring out these flaws. Anything more than a leisurely lope is enough.
There’s a lack of immediacy in turn-in, too, that doesn’t suit the car’s sporting credentials… .. there’s just no bite.
The chassis feels like it needs a lot more fine tuning and development… …fixes are already being worked on… … They are planning to play with camber and toe-out at the front to sharpen up the turn-in too.”

“Peter is keen that we come back [I bet he is!!! - Den ] once RV’s engineer and head horncho, Vince Wright , has applied some alterations…..”

“He [Peter ] reckons that the Python is an eminently useable everyday car. I can’t agree… .. the constant niggles and compromises would drive you mad”
Exactly what Stent found except they’ve put what they found rather more factually.

I’d rather not add ‘I told you so’ – but in all honesty I reckon I’m due an apology from some and a big thank you from others. I’ll not hold my breath though.

Den.