View Single Post
Old 14th June 2015, 16:52

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T: - This was my bodged repair, using a folded section of Spitfire body work to bridge the corrosion.

But the thought of a gas explosion is why the old BBQ is now a pile of parts ready for the recycling centre.

Although I will hang on to the legs in case I can think of a use for them in the car build.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Micky1Mo & Gary - It is a shame that there isn't another build thread to follow.

A Token Gesture:
Whilst it is good to be back talking about my build again, unfortunately there isn't much to report.

I was getting fed up with the fact the cheap plastic wallet my hand files came in was always falling apart.

So I've replaced it with a cheap material tool roll instead.

This was part of my traditional tidying up of the Summer House and at least I can see the floor again.

I've found the original fixings for the Spitfire steering column.

But there was one bracket that I just needed to paint over the blue.

Then I made two cardboard templates for the mounting bolts on each seat.

These will be used when I come to mark up / drill the holes required to bolt the seats to the floor.
( There is no room for seat runners to work. )

Confession Time:
Tidying up the hand files reminded me that I need to mention a slight mishap I had with the internal frame work.

Because I'd lowered the bulkhead slightly by removing an extra spacer, one of these brackets didn't want to line up.

So I'd been using a big screwdriver to give me the little bit of leverage I needed to get the bolts into place & that worked well.

Although there was one hole that needed to be open up a little bit in order to line up, so I used one of the small hand files.

Then my brain shut down for a moment and I carrying on with my levering action, except I hadn't picked up the screwdriver.

Yes, I really was dumb enough to break about 5 cm off the top of the file and drop it into my completely sealed A pillar.

To say I turned the air blue was an understatement, but as I couldn't think of any way of fixing the problem I just bolted it all up.

Now I need to pick one of the following options:
- Leave it where it is and carry on regardless.
- Cut an access hole into the A pillar, find it & fish it out (no idea where it is, so it may not even work).
- Squirt a load of expanding foam in though one of the bolt holes and hope to entomb it.

Although I am open to better suggestions if you have any.

Anyway it is nice to be back working on the car again, even if it was only for a short time & I didn't get much done.

Until next time, take care, Paul.