View Single Post
Old 15th June 2015, 08:38

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
Paul, I think one of the top priority's you have to do at this stage of your build is to "sit" in the car and play "driving".

I know this sound stupid but is an important moment.

Firstly, you can tell if the car "fits", leg room, peddles, steering wheel, seat position ect.
Secondly, It makes you feel so good at what you've done so far and bleeds inspiration to finish the car
I have to agree with that one, having now driven my Marlin about 100 miles, to and from it's MOT, I have realised I need to make adjustments to the seating, steering wheel and clutch pedal positions. My left, clutch leg is now suffering cramps as a result if the lack of a 'rest' position and I need to improve the throttle position too, I am having difficulty keeping a steady throttle position when cruising.

Part of my problem is the pedal box, I had to add a hydraulic clutch for the RV8 (Ford was cable, which takes up much less room), which has put the clutch pedal too close to the gearbox, so I have nowhere for my left foot to rest. If I were doing it again I would make my own pedal box, probably floor mounted, which would solve a bunch of other issues, including access around the steering column.

Better to get this right at an early stage while you can more easily make the adjustments. I did try but not hard enough! You need to be really comfortable seated in a driving position. Think, you have to be comfortable for at least an hour or two at a stretch, else it will be purgatory to drive it and that's not what it's about, you want to enjoy the experience.