View Single Post
Old 28th June 2015, 17:33

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quick Question:
Messing about with the seat belts yesterday reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask...

Do the eye bolts simply get tightened straight onto the mounting plate?

Or are there any washers, nuts, etc. I should be using as well?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A Poor Show:
Drilling the 4 holes in the passenger side floor was straight forward enough.

My plan for using just a spacer for the 2 front holes & some extra washers for the rear 2 holes was also simple enough.

But getting the seat into the correct position to test bolting it into position is not a one man job.

I tried taping the bolts in place from underneath...

Guides on the holes...

Guides on the seat...

But nothing worked, so that will have to wait for another day when I can call on an extra pair of hands.
( I'll also jack the car up to give me more room to work underneath the floor. )

So for now, this is just a mock up to give you an idea of what the underside will look like.

Next I re-fitted the bottom half of the steering column.

This was a painfully slow process given the lack of room to tighten the nut up more than a fraction of a turn at a time.

Then I started to fit the bulkhead bracket / seal.

But quickly discovered this is another job that requires two people to complete.
( As there is no way to reach both sides of the bolt & nut at the same time. )

Just to add insult to injury, at this point I felt a drop of rain and had to call it a day.

So not the most productive car session I've ever had by any means.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Guy Martin
This was a Father's Day present last Sunday and I've already finished it, a most enjoyable read.

One bit of trivia for you:
- Guy's first crash in a motorcycle race was at Park curve on the Cadwell Park circuit.
- This is the very same corner that I had my last crash in a motorcycle race.
( Hit by another rider, spectacular tumble, knocked out cold, race red flagged, trip in the back of an ambulance. )

I've got Cordite kit #7 and always planned to use a variation on Barry Sheene's number for my racing roundels.

So I might find room to include a small Guy Martin logo with my "sponsors" stickers.

The book also includes some cracking photos, including this one.