View Single Post
Old 9th May 2017, 06:12

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Good morning before investing in a new dashboard i decided to try an build! some instruments that would look appropriate , first off i bought a spare Z3 instrument binnacle , this would allow me to see what was possible before taking the dash apart in my car .

The binnacle taken apart , the actual instruments are the 4 silver "plug in " units .
I removed the water temp and fuel gauge units , then after removing the internals from Smiths type 2" gauges fitted the BMW units to the rear of the Smiths gauges and fitted new dial faces (courtesy of Scott"Smash") .

The rusty Smiths gauges were cleaned up and the sprayed black inside and out .

It was much the same for the speedo and revcounter , but i used Jaeger dials from a 60s! Alfa bought from Ebay Germany for just £50 delivered , these were gutted cleaned up then the BMW units screwed to the rear the faces were changed to say Veglia .

I will be fitting them using short runs of cable with a female connector at the instrument end and a mail connector at the PCB end , nothing is tested yet so there may need to be adjustment made to the faces and also the position of the BMW units , but we shall see .

Waiting for a couple of VDO gauges to turn up Oil Pressure and Temp , to complete the set , Geoff .