Thread: Stoneleigh
View Single Post
Old 27th March 2008, 18:46
Kit Car Dreamer

chrisrsmorriss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyP View Post
How come you're going down the megasquirt route rather than something like an Emerald?
I've used both emeralds and DTA before, emerald customer service was fantastic, much better than DTAs, not had a lot of experience with megasquirts, but heard about a few going pop.
I've used MS on a Hillman Imp engine in a Clan Crusader, so it's a known quantity! If I was wanting a system for a 4-cyl car now, I think I'd use the Canems one, but there's no version of their unit yet for control of the ignition in a 6-cyl motor. The Honda system on the 827 engine still uses a distributor, even though the timing is electronically controlled, so a direct-fire system will tidy things up a bit. I need to find an old crankshaft pulley from a Honda V6 so I can see how best to mount a 36-1 trigger wheel to the crank.

MS is unreliable for the injector drivers if you use low-impedance injectors. The current limiting is done in a switch-mode manner, and you have to get the parameters right first time (almost) unless you want the drive MOSFETs to go bang! I believe later versions have proper current-limited outputs controlled by local current-sensing NFB loops. (The MS I used for the Clan was a first-generation one, feeding high-impedance injectors).