View Single Post
Old 10th April 2017, 08:20

Giormio is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Firing up my Testarossa project

Hi to everyone.

New to this forum and found it while looking Testarossa builds already done.
I've had a dream to build my own TR for a long time now and finally decided to get it started.

Not yet have a donor car as I'm still trying to find the best donor for this project. Laws in my country are pretty strict and specific regarding the alterations one can do to a car while still keeping it road legal, and one that is pretty much forbidden are the alterations to car chassis.

So no stretching the wheelbase. Have to find something close to original. With this and few other things considered, this won't be exact match for the original but keeping it close.

So rear/mid engine cars are out of question because of too short wheelbases. Car will be ether 4WD or RWD, and Mitsubishi Eclipse and Nissan 200SX are the best picks for donors at this time. We'll see what I end up to, deciding and buying donor on this month.

General building will be done during summer, not in a hurry to make this happen. Meantime I'll be making other smaller stuff ready.

Also fabricating most of the stuff myself to keep the budget under control so lots of DIY stuff coming. Hopefully.

Already got this thing started by fabricating first plug for the mirrors, this firts one is just to be used as reference for some measures and angles. Next I'll make the real plugs that are used to pull molds out of to cast the composite parts.

Ref points to make these correct size are gotten from 3D scan of TR and also have aftermarket mirror glasses bought to use for measuring and fitting.

Also made Ferrari emblem by casting aluminium. Used scrap aluminium from intake manifold and made mold out of fast curing self leveling screed. Plaster of Paris is another way, but have found out that construction materials are better and a lot cheaper to make hard molds. Plug was made out of foam board.

I'll make mirror bases by casting aluminium and take exact photos of this procedure then and post them. This emblem was just an test version but came out so nice after polishing that I'll be using this.

Next I'll start fabricating mirrors to an end product and be posting the procedure. Still figuring out if I want to do polyurethane cast or fiberglass resin cast out of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170408_181830.jpg (86.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170408_181854.jpg (80.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170408_220146.jpg (83.4 KB, 144 views)
Available from eBay