View Single Post
Old 4th February 2014, 10:24

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas123mas View Post
I am wanting to go with white for the chassis and frame, I think with the tan and red paint work it will work, just can't 100% convenience myself.

For the wheel I was thinking of trying the a set of moon (metal spun) wheel trims, see what they are like, if I don't like them then I will go with wires.

On another note do you know if it is legal to use GPS speedo in the UK, also I am think of using a SpeedHut gauges.
White chassis with red paint will look very period imho. Go for it!

I like the idea of moon discs coupled with narrow tyres, very Bonneville salt flats speed trials. Go for it!

The construction and use regulations require road vehicles to have a speedometer that's visible and well maintained, but there's no mention of whether it needs to be mechanical or can use the GPS system. This means that legally you'll be fine with a GPS speedo, it just won't look very fifites. Erm, go for it if that's your bag.

There's further legislation regarding accuracy - it should never show a lower than true speed and must not read more than 110% + 6.25mph of actual speed, but I've never known anybody actually check that. It shouldn't be an issue with a GPS speedo anyway - in my experience of doing speed checks on patrol cars using a laser speed gun the sat nav's speed reading has always been dead on while the in car speedo typically reads at least 10% high and gets more inaccurate the faster you go (showing 66 at an actual 60mph, 115 at a true 100mph etc).

Just remember that if anyone ever decides to check your GPS speedo accuracy they won't be able to do it on a rolling road...

Some useful links below -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/35/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/36/made