View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoune View Post
Good evening everyone,
After more than 2 years of abscence I am back.

After 2 Sammio, 2 A352, 2 Jaguar type D and 1 Newport ... I needed a pose ... But I did not remain inactive though!

I am interested today by the Mistral kit.

Someone should it pictures of the kit installation on a Spitfire or frame Herald? The wheelbase of the kit is it ok with these cars?

patoune
Hi Pat, I rather like the Mistral body too and have been quietly hoping that someone would build one to a decent specification with a build thread here so I can see what's possible.

As for the wheelbase, the 1955 Microplas original was intended to be fitted to the Ford Ten, which had a 90" wheelbase. I guess most of the images of complete cars on Google will be on a 90" chassis, so that would suggest that the Herald/Vitesse at 91.5" would be an ideal donor.

Having said that, if you go back to page one of this thread there are pictures of a bare Mistral body balanced on both Herald and Spitfire chassis' and both look very good indeed.

Alternatively, Lotus/Caterham 7's and their spin-offs (pun fully intended) are typically somewhere between 87" and 90" wheelbase, so a Spaceframe Seven chassis should also work.

If you do go for a Mistral build please don't forget to post a build thread as I'd love to see it come together. If past projects are anything to go by I expect to see an exceptionally well finished car completed by 1st June...