View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:20
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Seeing your progress brings back memories.... It must be over five years now that I was getting to that exciting almost complete stage. In another couple of years I might be there again haha.

Mike - could you tell me how you fixed the VIN plate? I was under the impression they had to be welded on or at least fixed in a way they couldn't be removed. I would like to do something similar on the Pembleton (which doesn't currently have any markings on the chassis).

Cheers, Robin

Hi Robin

Yes it is the exciting/scary stage - my local test centre rang today and left a message asking what date I wanted for my test?
I 've had a long panic on my 2 hour drive home from work tonight and have decided to push it back a couple of weeks!

I have used plain head polished stainless steel rivet screws - the head is polished smooth with no slot or allen keyway, so it is "difficult" to undo the nuts from the back because there is no easy way of holding the rivet from going around.
Of course they could take the view that they are not "difficult" enough. If they do, I will change the nut to an ordinary stainless nut and apply a tiny spot weld.

I also have the original Marlin stamped logo plate VIN number, which was welded on the near side, bulkhead, (which I removed in less than 60 seconds with an angle grinder and slitting disk) and will weld this back onto the chassis, on the offside of the bulkhead.

Edit:
I was happy that my plain head screws would be enough, but as an after thought I will spot weld ordinary nuts on to the rivets before going for the test- but it will mean I have to grind them off to get the GRP cover painted. Oh what fun!

I wonder if they will claim that the GRP panel is not secure enough then?