View Single Post
Old 10th October 2013, 22:03
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default The Uxbridge Wobble

Major Setback - Front Hub "Wobble"

Just when all seemed to be going well..................I have the "Uxbridge wheel wobble".
( So named after "Peterux" who had the same problem earlier this year).

Whilst swapping my wheels over I discovered some play in the front hub/axle, but was not sure where from. After removing the wheel and testing and testing I became convinced it was in the bearings - this was particularly annoying as they are new.

So, I stripped off the brake calliper and beat the upper and lower tapered ball joints out, and finally the track rod end ball joint. Once free I could hold the hub in the vice, and sure enough the bearing has play in it. Oddly, as with Peterux, (and hence the reference), the play can only be felt when testing across the East-West pivot.ie holding North - South and trying to rock it. It does not appear to rock on the North -South axis?

I've spoken to the guy who supplied me the hubs re-furbished, fitted with new bearings and torqued up to 215ft lbs, and he is very surprised. Hopefully when I take them back he will accept they are faulty and replace the pair?

Quite a few hours wasted, and another job to do.