View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:17

Very Andy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
Hi Bill,

Thanks for images, actually a bit of 'flap' on that section would help as I get problems when opening the door fully as it pushes on that bottom edge, I've adjusted the door skins so they are as far back as possible, actually they stick a little when opening the door on the back section. Also I have pulled the front section as far forward as possible and even shimed it, so have a huge gap between door and front section, you can literally drive a bus through and it still doesn't clear. Also moved front section spring latches as far back as possible to try and push front section far toward as possible.

Then there is the height of the door and the front section, both doors are considerably higher that the front section, but must be sitting right as the bottom of the doors have a good size gap that I would expect.

So not sure, other than giving to someone who can sort it for me.

Don't get me wrong it doesn't have to be perfect, but I like the word 'Reasonable'. Currently it's not reasonable.
The door issue is probably down to the fact that the door skin is quiet some way further out from the door pivot point so that its arc, when opening, is that much more exaggerated compared to the original door, not a huge amount but enough to have an issue on opening versus door shut lines.
I've no solution without seeing the car in the flesh, other than maybe taking a couple of mm off of the rear of the skin to even up the shut lines.

Just wondered how the other SWB builders, Chris and Richard have overcome this issue.

Wondering if it would be a better option going forward for Chris to alter the front clip so that the rear section finishes higher up the panel as per the Cobra, thus making it easier to open the door whilst at the same time getting rid of the variable shut lines along the bottom? Not exactly 'replica' changes I know and the front vent would need shortening. Just an idea.

I would seal and smooth over the rear sill to rear clip area as well which is in keeping with the original.

See below for a Photoshopped example.