View Single Post
Old 24th November 2019, 20:02
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Thanks again to Jack and Paul for your kind comments.

----------------------------------------------------------

This week I have been making permanent the bypasses to the external HP fuel pump and pre-filter which meant adding hoses and a few 'p'clips. I've kept the original mounting holes should I ever decided to revert to my original design.

I've also been cleaning and painting my 'spare' used power steering rack which I hope will not leak like my so called 'reconditioned' one. The rubber mounting bushes are shot so I have had to order some rather expensive Superflex poly bushes since the original Ford bushes are like the proverbial hens teeth.
My 'rack is made up of a Mk3 Granada power rack fitted with Sierra manual rack tie rods which are shorter than the Grandad ones. This is to get the track width correct for my Sabre which has Sierra donor suspension components. So I have also been swapping tie rods from one rack to the other.

Whilst testing my engine a couple of weeks ago, I had noticed that the fuel tank was pressurized and the breather vent seemed to be permanently closed. The Ford vent closes off if the car is upside down to prevent fuel spillage. I have now discovered that the valve closes when tipped over by more than about 15 degrees. I had originally installed it attached to the filler neck, as designed by Ford, but on the Sabre the filler neck is rotated by about 120 degrees. This meant the vent was mounted at an angle which meant it was permanently closed.
I have now re-mounted it so that it is vertical.

Fuel vent valve by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Fuel tank breather vent valve re-positioned to be vertical.

Fuel vent valve by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

It may not look it in the photo but it was set with a spirit level to confirm it is now vertical and venting the tank correctly.

Next week I hope to get the 'rack back on......

.........peter