View Single Post
Old 1st October 2016, 15:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Agreed Towed ..so , reworded ...sharp or blunt preference ?

How about the Formosa Koppeerite ?
Ahh, can't choose between them as I love both looks.

Car Photographer - what are your handling issues?

The suspension setup makes a big difference to the handling on small chassis Triumphs but they can be made to be really grippy and agile, especially with a lightweight body and low centre of gravity.

On mine I've recently raised the front ride height to leave the lower wishbones parallel with the road surface and that really sharpened up the turn-in and steering feel. I'm also running quite a bit of toe in on the rear wheels and toe out on the fronts, and the car changes direction with real enthusiasm and inspires confidence.

Finally, although it's tempting to fit 'uprated' springs and shocks, my feeling is that they're too hard for road use, and 180lb front springs with standard shocks keep the tyres in contact with the road surface where firmer springs and shocks leave them hopping about and losing grip. The same goes for the back end, standard shocks, a couple of leaves taken out of the rear spring and no lowering blocks give better traction and grip than a lower, firmer setup.

As for more modern donors, they tend to be big, heavy and can't be chopped about without going down the (expensive) IVA route. The resultant cars can look really good - I'm a particular fan of Tribute's 250SWB and the 275 is also taking shape nicely, but they can also look awkward, particularly around the windscreen area. I'd rather use the mechanical components from a modern donor and fit them to a purpose built chassis. At least then you don't have to compromise the design to fit around immovable components. I also have a few reservations about access to some service items and systems on the bond-on body panel type kits that are becoming popular with the pay-someone-else-to-build-it customers.

A good example of where I see what I think is an appropriate use of a modern donor would be this classic 'Mini' that uses the MGF as a base-

http://www.speed3automotive.co.uk/models.aspx