View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:50

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
22nd July will be forever etched on my memory as the day our Sportster passed its IVA at Vosa Bristol! Couple of close calls, but overall the guy was very fair. He never even picked up the spheres of doom, check about 3 points for radius, had a brief look at seat mountings etc, but again didn't get too bogged down with the prescribed tolerances/requirements. Had to bend over the ball joint washers on the front whilst there and re-align the headlights a bit, and disconnect and disable/remove (and then plug the holes with grommets) the 2 extra side repeaters that were 2 too many, one is all that is allowed apparently.

Then major brake testing, which looked pretty brutal, but passed with loads of extra in reserve, self centred ok, he was (dare I say it) very impressed with the quality of the kit, and the build we had put together.
Had the sound level checked, with revs at 5,500. Db Limit apparently is 99db, clocked in at 98.9, he even checked it twice, and read 98.8 second time! I kid you not!

So now just have the DVLA paperwork to sort (any help would be great fully received btw), and the M3 based Sportster is good to roar through the Cotswolds!

Thanks for all your help guys, without your tips/build diaries to follow, we would never have got to this momentous day!
Congratulations Rob. That's great news. That's two Sportsters thru' IVA in a couple of months. If you need any help with the DVLA paperwork, let me know. All the detail are at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...-registrations. You have to fill in a V55/4 form, (and leave the majority of the boxes blank) and a V627/1 Built up vehicle inspection report. Apparently our cars are classed as "kit conversions" by the DVLA.

I found the process quite straight forward. I avoided Swansea, took all the required documents (as listed on the website above) to my local DVLA office at Theale, handed over the cash, and they did all that was needed. I booked an inspection with them for ten days later and trailered (WHY) the car there for a five minute inspection of the chassis number and engine number, which had both been checked already on the IVA. Four days later my registration number and authority to have plates made and tax disc arrived. There was no question of a "Q" plate once they had seen the original V5. So other than the ridiculous bureaucracy of it, it all went fairly smoothly.

So well done and congratulation again. I was in the Cotswolds in my Sportster at the weekend so maybe I'll bump into you (metaphorically!!) at some time.