View Single Post
Old 19th June 2015, 06:39

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the heart attacks JMC, hope your health issues are sorted now.

I remember the development work being done to fit the Spyder body to the Miata (MX5 here in Europe). As I recall you actually got as far as having the body shipped across the pond. Do you know if anyone finished the car? Would love to hear an update and see some pictures if it's on the road or still being completed.

The Miata mechanicals and backbone have been used for a number of European home-build cars, but the problem we have in the UK is that once we cut the windscreen (windshield) off and/or alter the monocoque body on a car without a separate body and chassis, we have to have a comprehensive inspection conducted (IVA), which costs over $900 (US), and a retest if it fails (which most do first time) costs almost $200.

The problem with getting a home built car through that test is the stupidly stringent rules as to what parts can be used to build the thing.

For example, gauges must have rounded bezels so you don't cut your face on them in a crash. If my face hits the dash I have a feeling that a cut chin will be the least of my worries!

Anyway, given the ever diminishing pool of classic donors I think that the way forward for the Sammio brand could be to include a Miata based car designed from the outset to get through the IVA test. It would cost considerably more but I think there'd be a ready market for it on both sides of the Atlantic.

I think you were really on to something there, JMC.