View Single Post
Old 27th November 2016, 06:54

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Even if I have my tongue in my cheek at times, I hope I am still being seen as positive/constructive about this new project.

So I just want to echo some of Jeff's key points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
… A lot of thought going in to this at an early stage … Can only be a good thing …
I think people's expectations are higher now regarding kits … if the quality is good the price asked will be achievable …
Personally, I believe that thinking about how the kit will actually be built is probably more important than how it looks.

As the cost of the kit itself and all the other parts used pales in comparison to the value of the builder's time.

These days, you have a choice of a something like a Tribute Kobra that can be completed in a few short months.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5001

Compared to 'traditional' Sammio & Miglia projects that can take years to finish, or are simply abandoned all together.

I actually prefer the look of the Sammio to the Kobra, but these days construction time would play a key part in me choosing a kit.

If anything, this Formosa Spyder appears to require more rolling chassis preparation work than any Spyder, G46 or Cordite before it.

So, ideally, this prototype really needs to be fully built up to an "on the road with an MOT" standard before the first kit is sold.

That way, the full list of "extras" required will be known in advance of a build starting.

So far, you are moving the engine/gearbox, replacing the prop shaft, modifying the steering column, etc.

Will you be reusing/moving/replacing the Herald radiator and associated "plumbing"?

Even if all of these jobs are "relatively simple" there seems to be a lot of them.

Therefore it is even more critical that everything supplied works "out of the box" without any further adjustment being required.

Which brings me back to Jeff's original point that all the effort spend at this early stage can only be a good thing.

Good luck, Paul.