View Single Post
Old 4th November 2015, 17:40

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Wet Wednesday:
Typical, I had some car time available this morning and it was chucking it down outside.

However, I must remember that now is the time for a "seasonal" adjustment to my expectations.

As the simple reality is that the weather plays a much bigger role during the Winter months.

I did spend a bit of time tidying up the Summer House, as I also needed to look for something for my daughter.

Then in my second "typical" moment of the day, I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did find this in an old box.

Yes, a sealant gun, just like the one I ordered yesterday, that I had clearly forgotten I even had.

Eventually it stopped raining, so I took the covers off and started to test fit the cockpit floor panels.

But no sooner had I started, when the rain returned.

So I quickly threw the tarpaulin over the top.

Then carried on adjusting the panels in the porch.

And getting a bit wet every time I went out to check the fit.

By the time the rain had finished, the panels were ready.

Passenger side (before & after):

Driver's side:

I did use the sealant gun to apply the Tiger Seal into the gaps on either side of the bulkhead join.

Unfortunately, it was just too grey outside to get any decent photos, so I'll try again another day.

Then it was back to making cardboard templates for more plywood panels to support the body shell.

The area between the two humps is very secure, but there is "thin air" under the rear cockpit corners.

So I will be adding two panels between the frame and the body shell here:

I will also add a small panel between the top of the Spitfire wheel arches and the underside of the body shell arch.

I couldn't get a decent photo of the panel in position, but it will be somewhere around here.

The next thing I looked at was how the cockpit sides will work as there isn't much room to play with.

On the passenger side, a panel starting from the "middle" framework would reach.

But if I started the panel at the floor, the plywood would stick out beyond the edge of the cockpit.

Which is what would happen no matter where I start on the driver's side.

So on this side, I will add a panel along the top frame rail underneath the sides.
( I may actually do something similar to this on the passenger side. )

Note:
My current concern is how to support the sides of the cockpit, not the whole cockpit panelling.
( Which will still need to be done for the "look" of the car, rather than its internal strength. )

At some point I will need to add the cockpit "return" edge along both sides of the cockpit too.

But for now I cut out the pieces needed to support the rear of the cockpit.

I also cut out another section of fibreglass to extend the "top" bridge on the driver's side.

Finally, I painted/treated all the edges of the plywood panels in preparation for bonding them into place.

This panelling work is quite time consuming, but it is worth spending the time to ensure I have a solid car.

So it still feels like I am moving forwards with the build, albeit quite slowly.

Until next time, take care, Paul.