Thread: Nimrod @ 36
View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:06
Kit Car Dreamer

mikejupp is on a distinguished road
Default Nimrod @ 36

The stuff you find when your searching the Internet for other things!
(in my case I was researching Sweeny Todd.
Was he an actual historical character?..and the answer is, yes he was!)

A Kit Car site! Brilliant!
Here's mine (taken recently - complete with new ironing board on the back!)

and some taken in 1998

There's a lot of posher and far more serious cars than my NIMROD (above) on your site, but I bet there's not too many Fibre-glass kit-cars that are older.
I designed it in 1969 while I was working on a Free-paper in Chichester.
(My car was eventually launched onto the Nation's tarmac in 1972!)
I was asked by the owners of the Paper if I could design a car. As I was, and still am, a cartoonist!...most of the cars around then were a joke..so I thought 'One more won't do any harm'
Poor old Ray Jay of Hunston (one of the best carpenter/joiner/glass fibre constructors EVER!!) was press-ganged into making my soppy drawings into a real vehicle(s). He almost single-handedly created the Nimrods, making the wooden plugs, moulds, jigs, and actual cars during the 1970's! (about a dozen I think?)

There's a photo on my website Forum of a squadron of Nimrods gathered together at the 1985 Stoneleigh Kit-Car Show!
http://www.webnet2000.cc/mikejupp/modules/newbb/
The black one was shipped off to Germany last year and one of the white ones has just made it to its new owner in Florida!
Where's the red one?

If anyone knows of anyone who still owns one of our Nimrods, either a Ray Jay built car..or the later Nigel Talbot kit..can they let me know on my NIMROD (Juppy's home-made car) thread.
I don't know whether there is still a 'Nimrod Owners Club'?..if there isn't there should be! In fact if there isn't?... I'll start one with me as the only member! (though Groucho Marx's comment about clubs comes to mind!)
Anyway...Ta muchly!
Mike Jupp
Bognor Regis

Last edited by mikejupp; 22nd January 2008 at 16:29..
Available from eBay