Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 6th April 2014, 19:03

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the compliments UFO, I had a very clear idea in my head of what I wanted to achieve when I started my build and, apart from the aborted umbrella handle handbrake, everything came together just as I hoped it would.

My car has so far managed to convince 99.9% of the people who've seen it into believing it's a real 50's Lancia. Only one spotty petrol pump attendant has asked 'so what's that a replica of then?' I even found the chairman of the Lancia UK owner's club poring over it in the car park at Goodwood, and when I told him it was a replica he was gobsmacked.

I think there's a couple of reasons for that: as you say, it's got a bit of 'lived in' patina about it so it doesn't look suspiciously shiny and new; and instead of trying to pass it off as a classic Ferrari or Maserati, which every pub bore knows every detail of, I've gone for the rather more obscure Lancia brand. After all, given the rust horror stories from the 70's and 80's, who in their right mind would build a replica Lancia?

As for the problem of not being able to link from someone's name to the threads they've started, can't help with that I'm afraid (did you PM JG?) If you want to find my build thread though, quickest way is to click the 'views' tab at the top of the right hand end of the thread bar, and for some reason it'll pop to the top.

TTFN.