View Single Post
Old 1st November 2015, 12:57
Enthusiast

pompeyal is on a distinguished road
Default Fitting the Alternator

As the original position for the alternator on this engine was at the rear I had to come up with a mod to front fit it, so first I made an aluminium interface plate that would pick up on the lower engine block holes...... Note on the plate’s top right hole, this picks up with a tapped hole in the block and when the bracket is fitted the top right hole of the bracket set itself up perfectly for the belt alignment.

I acquired an alternator bracket from a Honda Prulude which was front mounted, the holes on the interface plate were drilled to suit the holes of the bracket so it could be mounted it the correct position.

Because the alternator I had was smaller in size I wanted to for that rather than a Prelude one so I offered up the alternator to check what mods were required.

The pivot on the alternator was a perfect fit and the belt aligned with the crank pulley just as planned.

The lower hole on the alternator was out of position and didn’t follow the path on the bracket , this I had to slot.

I space out with washers the miss match on the adjuster and later made correct size spacers to replace the washers

All worked fine so I then cleaned the bracket and gave it a coat of paint.

The next thing to do was change the connector on the harness as the harness was for an OBD1 ecu and the alternator was from an OBD2 ecu.