View Single Post
Old 29th July 2010, 19:02

sylvazx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric H View Post
Just got the new nuts from ebay.... and they're 18tpi not 16tpi aaargh!
Looking at the ball joint it seems to me that what's caused the problem is that the threaded insert in the wishbone is slightly undersize (must just be a tolerance problem I think since I can't think of any other thread that would be so close?) and has damaged the ball joint threads a little - just enough to disengage and thus strip the jamming nut threads anyway. Looks like I am going to need a new ball joint - and ideally an 11/16 16tpi UNS tap to open up the wishbone threads... anyone got one of those on the shelf?! I'm meant to be driving up to Scotland on Friday with a friend. I'll see if I can get a part number off Marlin tomorrow - John, have you had any luck finding your spare joints?
I had problems with one of my front wishbones when building my car a few years ago. When screwing the top balljoint into the top wishbone it suddenly went tight and jammed solid. The problem was caused during the welding of the threaded insert onto the top wishbone, a little too much heat during welding had caused the thread to melt inside the insert and it locked up on the balljoint thread. this destroyed the balljoint thread during attempts to unscrew it. Marlin replaced the wishbone FOC. would suggest you clean out with a tap before fitting another balljoint or it may tear the thread up again.

John