Thread: Sammio for sale
View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:22

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Part of the wording of the proposal to introduce rolling 40 year MOT exemption states that it doesn't apply to cars that have been modified to no longer resemble the original and also a power to weight increase of 15% or more ...the lighter and alternative body means S*mmio's and the like will not gain MOT exemption ..which really is not an issue for me ..who doesnt want their car checked annually for £40 ?

We still fall into the 8 point system , so no issues with that. Cars will still be re-registered as they are now and not subject to an IVA.

The guys who may have more of an issue are my Hot Rod buddies with modified running gear / chassis changes etc... It's been a growing issue for years and every few years or so , DVLA squeeze the hobby .... its an overlooked situation more often than not , but with owners having to tick a modified or not box when re-taxing and MOT stations potentially being prosecuted or penalized if they choose to ignore it ...things could be changing for any unaccepted modified cars built after 1988 .....If anyone is caught out not declaring their cars and claiming MOT exemption , they will be sent to an IVA test ...if you declare it as modified , you can bet your bottom dollar , you will be asked to explain mods ...as I said before , S*mmio-esque builds will be deemed as acceptable and not given MOT exemption , but not put forward for IVA either ...but if you fall into certain categories , I suspect SCS or a similar body will be inspecting the vehicle and some of those will be put forward for IVA...

It's one way of filtering out the awful Rat style rubbish thats been nailed together in recent years , but at the expense of some very well built cars ...

The stupid thing about this ruling is ..if you have , for example , a split screen Minor , you put a later Minor engine in it or a twin carbed MG engine or something ...that mod alone will lose your right to MOT exemption ...if you improve the brakes , suspension and steering to make the car handle better using later BMC parts ...you could be heading for IVA in your very stock looking and upgraded old Minor ....now that's not fair ...