View Single Post
Old 26th January 2018, 07:31

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default Exporting to France

The silver Moss appears to have been sold to France and I was wondering if anyone knew the rules on exporting a modified car to France, Germany or Spain.

I sold a couple of Triumph motorcycles a few years back to a Frenchman who turned up to collect them with a Citroen Lomax on a trailer. He would buy the Lomax's to take back to France and the bikes were just to fill the extra space to make the journey more cost effective.
He did tell me (this is what I can't remember) that he could only register the Lomax in France if the V5 said Lomax or Citroen. So long as they were correctly registered he could get the French paperwork and could sell them for almost double what he paid in the UK.

There was a very nice Cobra for sale last year, UK registered and the English owner wanted to take it to his property in France but the French refused to register it so he had to sell it.

I have changed my V5 and it is now registered as a Tribute California in the maker's section and no model name. I am beginning to wonder if it would have been more sensible to leave it as, make BMW, model California.

On a side note, if you think the DVLA are awkward, they have nothing on the French. An English friend of mine who has lived in France for the last 40 years took home a late 90's BMW motorcycle, they refused to register it because it had the wrong E markings on all of the indicators and the rear light. They were E marked but France and Germany have different E markings to the UK (one digit different?). He had to borrow the lenses from someone in the owners club, pass the registration and then swap them back.
Available from eBay