View Single Post
Old 20th January 2018, 09:05

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The plan for today it to get the other control arm off and then as many hours as I can stand with a wire brush cleaning stuff up.

Probably less exciting photos but I will try to capture the Before and After as I go along.

I have hit a small snag so I thought I would post a quick update while I google the solution.

First, some useful bits when doing this. A nice warm wool carpet on the cold concrete garage floor and a couple of LED lamps. The lamps were a couple of quid from B&Q or similar and can be positioned around the engine bay so they cast light on what you are working on instead of a torch with a norrow beam simply casting shadows everywhere.
20180120_103138 by WCA!, on Flickr

This morning the 22mm nut holding the middle ball joint on came loose fairly easy. Watch out for the two studs that held the ARB bush in place as the can give a nasty scratch. Also note that with the ARB in place it would be much more difficult to get at the bolt so it looks like removing it first was the right thing to do.
20180120_101903 by WCA!, on Flickr

Feeling confident and after slightly loosening the two bolts holding the rear bushing I had another look at the 18mm nut by the wheel. Why do all the guys on YouTube have so much more space to work? I was totally blocked by that bracket and was in serious danger of totally rounding what remained of the bolt so I stopped and assessed the situation.
20180120_101231 by WCA!, on Flickr

I had a piece of metal bracket in my car that the other guys didn't. Why?

I had fitted after market adjustable coil overs and they were blocking proper access to the nut. Now I am going back to the garage to disconnect the coil overs and hopefully get proper access. I might we do this on the other side as well as it will made the wire brushing around tghe brake a whole heap easier.
20180120_101258 by WCA!, on Flickr

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 20th January 2018 at 09:59..