View Single Post
Old 10th December 2013, 19:41
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Iva Pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today my Marlin Cabrio passed the IVA test!

For the photos - have a look here:

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...s-Cabrio-Build

(why can't it be simple to copy one set of photos from one vbulletin to another?

I drove my Cabrio 120 miles without a number plate or tax disc........................and all quite legally! It was great fun. Several police cars passed me by, and I kept hoping they would stop me .............but none did!

Why was it legal? - because I took my Cabrio back for its IVA re-test today, and chose to drive it there!

It was pretty cold when I set off:

But I was well wrapped up, and with the heater on all the way the only part to get cold was my right hand - the centre heating vent has already shown it was worth the effort.

After a 90 minute drive I arrived back here:

This time I was an hour early - so I parked up, took a few photos and had lunch.

The ground clearance is pretty good as Marlins go........but that sump does look vulnerable.

I had arranged to have my Cabrio re-tested again by Martin, this time at 1.30pm to ensure I was not late! So after his lunch he began his inspection. As per last time, he was thorough in checking off the fail items, and within two minutes (literally) he ticked off the brake pivot pin clip, the matched rear tyre profiles, and window and bumper sharp edges, and so moved on to the final item - the handbrake.

Up on the ramps to see what I had done, and that when operated nothing now fouled - all was OK, and the test had now lasted all of 5 minutes.

Although I had added two steel adjusters into my handbrake cable, I still knew the efficiency test was, unfortunately, not going to be a formality.....................

Yesterday I took my Cabrio to the local MOT station to have them test only the handbrake efficiency, to make sure all was well, and give me the confidence to drive my Cabrio 60 miles over to Nottingham (and spend £90) for its IVA re-test.

Unfortunately it was much closer than I had hoped..............

Based on the 1600kg Design Weight I had filled in on my IVA application form this test only showed 17% - enough for an MOT pass (>16%), but a fail against the 18% required by IVA. Oh dear, not again!
Perhaps the pads were not bedded in and would be better after a 60 mile drive?

So, when I arrived at this part of the re-test I was genuinely nervous.
Martin set it up in the brake test machine, and I could see the back end squat down each time he applied the hand brake.

The good point to note at this stage were the exhausts clearing the centre plates even when squatting under hard braking.

However, I could also see the scores on the screen were just the same as the previous day, and a fail was the likely outcome.................

except................................?

(just teasing!)

..........I had agreed with Martin prior to my test that I would "re-submit" my Cabrios Design Weight to a more realistic 1300kg, which meant the efficiency now rose to a creditable 21% and a clear pass!

So - after 8 years, I have now achieved an IVA PASS!!!!!!!!!

The ride home was much more relaxed than the nervous one there and (in places) quite a bit quicker too! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Although I had just achieved an IVA pass there were bits dropping off my car as I drove home!

The bumper edge covers fell off, but they were never really needed as I had radiused the edges, but I was not taking any risks..............

The gash dash fell off to leave a nice shiney one underneath!

[IMG]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5543/11314859854_0e7c6805e8.jpg

Although these are sold as asfter market alloy wheels, they will not pass the IVA - part of the rim has a radius of less than 2.5mm: so I had to remove it for the test, and cable tie it back on to get it home safely!

..............and this is what its all done for.............

IVA PASS certificate