View Single Post
Old 28th April 2019, 08:33

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

BEWARE OF TOUCHING Z3DOOR LOCKS!

Have been working on 2 Z3's and both have deadlocked. Both have the roof down so I can get inside them, however even with the key in the ignition the doors cannot be opened from the inside. Do not confuse locking with deadlocking. As the doors have skins attached to them the outer door lock is unaccessible so the cars simply cannot be unlocked. I have had to drill a hole in doth cars door skins so that the door lock can be accesed, as soon as the key is inserted the car will unlock.
It is a design feature, if you lock the car with the roof down a potential thief cannot simply lean inside the car and unlock it, a sendible precaution but a PITA if you fit door skins over the lock.
I have cut a door up to see clearly how the door handle/lock works and to say it is over complicated is an understatement.
If you are going to fit door skins you should have a dummy key hole under the door handle on the skin so it can be removed to gain access to the original lock. If you start messing around with different door handle options you will end up with problems. For instance, not only does the key operate the locking mechanism, it also includes a microswitch that operates the door actuators, these are virtually inaccessible and overly complicated, not like a normal door solenoid.