View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:30

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Rene - See below for my latest attempt at being a bit more Ferrari.

8 Value Ed - Given all the other over engineered metal I've added, the mirror mount will not make too much difference.

Scottie - Cheers, I plan to use a combination of both internal locating pins and external (lockable) catches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Flying Visit:
Did a bit more tinkering this morning, before other chores take up the rest of my day.

I had another think about the mirror pedestal and decided that using square edges & box section was not helping.

I do have some steel tube I could play with, but this might be a bit too big, although I could get a smaller diameter.

I could also use a more "organic" shaped based with a lip to avoid a flat edge "hazard".

I used some thin plastic tube for the mock up.

Looking at the last photo, I could move the top of the two "outside" support tubes inwards a bit, to create more of a cross brace.

But as I said yesterday, I think I might just leave this design to one side for now & get on with other things.

Then I went outside, where despite being sunny the wind was making it feel bitterly cold.

I tidied up the petrol cap base ring.

Then prepared the area for a bit of etch primer.

Although this last photo has highlighted the fact I need to trim some bonding paste off one of the rivets.

The final job for the day was to roughly sand down the rear number plate plinth.

Then I added some more fibreglass filler to build up the "holes".

I will finish tidying up the bottom edge of this plinth when I have removed the body shell.
( As it would be a lot easier to see what I am doing with the body shell turned upside down. )

I didn't think I would get anything done today, so I am happy with a little progress.

But I've really got to go now, cheers, Paul.