View Single Post
Old 20th November 2014, 19:31

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Last major interior panelling job - finish off the rear of the cockpit and join it to the body shell lip to provide strength/support.

It's worth pointing out that the rear inner lip of my cockpit was a bit.... wonky! But I know that with the shell mounted any cut-n-shut would be a nightmare! (Ref my and Pauls experiences of fibre-glassing upside down! not together I hasten to add!!!) So I decided to work with it and then in the future add something to cover any nasty looking bits.

First I removed the existing rivets that held the top of the rear panels to the frame and added some L-section on top. Then riveted it all back in place.

Then I added another strip of L section alloy on top of that and inside the lip to join that to the shell.
Note the "join" where there are no rivets where I had to split the long single length in order to work around the wonkiness!

This has resulted in a very strong and stable rear lip, tested with a bit of jumping up and down. So I'm happy that's not going anywhere!
Also note the 6 riv-nuts I fitted as I want a removable centre panel "just in case"

And with the initial rough-cut panel held in place with button headed, Allen bolts it looks just how I wanted it!

Just some cleaning and tidying to do. And I'm also not sure if I'm going to put filler over the join of the shell and strengthening yet.... I'm still pondering that one