View Single Post
Old 27th November 2014, 10:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Fast work to get to the filling and sanding stage in six months as a hobbyist, Dave, well done!

Only Patoune gets things done quicker and he's a pro with a fully equipped workshop and a team of spannermen at his command.

The solid donor looks to have helped enormously though, I was still welding my chassis after six months.

As for the ride height front and rear, I'd make sure the suspension is fully settled before modifying the bodywork. After all, your Spyder looks like it lowered itself an inch or more at the back once you started driving it -

Towards end of build:

Waving it away with a tear in your eye as I recall

You might want to consider removing a leaf or two from the rear spring too. I know you've gone with Spitfire swing spring at the back again, but did you ever manage to sort out the handling on your Spyder?

(Quote from your build thread, Feb 2012) -

1. Its DAMN quick! Or at least it seems like it when your @rse is only a few inches from the road

2. Its bleedin skittish! I'm going to have to take some time to get used it it or i'm going through a hedge, backwards

I know 'uprated' springs are fashionable amongst the track-day bores, but mine was very skittish until I softened the suspension front and rear, now it sticks to the road like glue and doesn't knock your fillings out when you run ants over.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this one finished so crack on!