Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 15th April 2018, 22:19

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
The cold and wet weather has halted my project up to now. However, I have acquired a Robin Hood Daytona. I talked myself into it thinking it will help me with my project, how I don't know but I didn't need much persuading.
Last on the road in 2008, failed an MOT in 2016, main items were handbrake, steering rack mounts and emissions. It seems to have new rear pads and the handbrake callipers have new split pins and bolts holding the pads so I am hoping this was done after the MOT failure. Still to look at the rack mounts but I have done them in the past on an XJS that I owned and it wasn't a big job.
My main problem is the carbs, it's a Jaguar V12 pre HE that would originally have had fuel injection. This was removed at some time in the past and replaced with 4 strombergs which is what E types and early XJ12's used. These were then removed and fitted with a set of 6 Weber 40 IDF carbs. It starts and runs but you can smell how rich it is running, doesn't sound smooth and there is quite a bit of spitting back through the carbs.
I found a rolling road locally that advertised "we love setting up classic carbs", as soon as I told them what it was, they went off carbs very rapidly and said they couldn't help.
I have quite a few previous receipts for carb tuning in the past which is suspicious, there is also a bag of carb parts in the boot so it looks as if someone has tried to sort it out in the past, probably without success.

Do you think it is going to be possible to get it running sweetly on the webers and if so any recommendations of someone in the Thames Valley area.
Or would it be a better idea to try and source some strombergs and an inlet manifold.
The final option would be to retrofit fuel injection but I know nothing about how they work and my electrical knowledge is pretty close to zero.
Maybe ask these guys as they sell a carb kit for the v12 they may know somewhere they trust who can set them up ... reading up on them if you get into double figure mpg you are doing well!!!!
http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/induction.html