View Single Post
Old 19th October 2018, 05:44

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking I broke the habit of a lifetime

and bought five new tyres for a project . The anticipated 'phone call came late morning and I whizzed down to the tyre place in the Micra, armed with a picture of a Monaco. The guy on the desk had asked me what car my tyres were for, and I'd replied that he wouldn't know if I told him. Anyway, both he and his boss (top bloke, he'd left ProTyre to set up on his own, taking most of their staff with him) asked me to bring it along when it's done.

On return, as help was available, I pressed on with the pedal box after plonking the body on the grass. I'd made a cardboard template of the mounting plate showing where the pedals hung and offered it up in the engine bay to mark the first of the mounting holes, making sure that the steering column hole was between the pedal positions. Once the first hole was drilled, it was a simple matter to bolt the plate into position and drill though it for the other five. The two large holes were already cut when I got the project, as was the steering column one, which luckily turned out to be spot on. I'll fill the biggies before final assembly.

The day was marching on by now, and my son was going to work, so I enlisted his aid and replaced the body. All that was left was to fit my MGF wheels .

The back ones may need slim spacers, time will tell, and the fronts may necessitate limiting the lock with hose clips. Again, the proof of the pudding....

I have to say that I'm thrilled with the way she looks with her new boots, much more in keeping with the overall look than the 13" ones!

Regards, Mick