View Single Post
Old 11th August 2016, 19:34

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default Monza Fuel Cap

Sorry but posted the first part on a separate post, should have kept it all in one place.

Roughly marked position and shape of petrol cap well.

Cut out with a 1mm disc on an angle grinder. Glued in place with resin.

The cap is held in place with M5 countersunk screws and nylock nuts. Problem is that it is almost impossible to get a spanner on the nylocks so I used 6mm rivnuts that you can just see in the picture. This makes attaching and removing very easy.

just need final finishing for paint. It is large but i like it.
There is very little room underneath for the pipe, I think I can trim 15mm from the underside of the petrol cap mounting tube but it still will be tight. I may have to cut a relief in the top of the boot to allow it to flow properly. Waiting for some pipe.

Chris gave me some flange clips to attach the door skin to the door but I cannot see anyway to fix them satisfactory, must be missing something.
I have drilled holes through the door and into the skin. I then removed the gap outer skin and attached some M5 rivnuts. Reattached the skin and it bolts up really easily and is much tighter than using self tapping screws. Forgot to take pictures so you will all just have to wait till the skin comes off again.

That was all the good progress, the bad progress was that I found the new front edge of the door id fouling the bonnet hinge when fully open. I missed it as I had the bonnet open when I was checking for gap with the bonnet open which puts the hinge in a different place. I will have to grind it back a bit and build up the trailing edge of the wing as Jeff has done.