View Single Post
Old 28th October 2014, 21:35

swifty is on a distinguished road

The steering is eventually finished although it has worked out differently from what i had in mind. The UJ section i took out of the corsa did not fit as anticipated so i had to leave it and come back to it another day.

Will post pictures in the next couple of days.

Made a few bits to finish off the rear reflectors.

IMG_4786.jpg

The reflectors came with a black plastic rim that does not look in style with the fifties race car i am trying to emulate so i decided to turn two ally covers which fit very snugly over the plastic rim, these were turned on a manually lathe from stock 70mm ally bar, its probably pointless putting the dimensions on as it will depend on where you buy the reflectors from but if you need the dimensions drop me a line.

The left hand reflector is as standard while the right hand one has the ally trim fitted. I am going to do the same for all the light fittings so that they match.

IMG_4788.jpg

Finally finished the screen and rear view mirror support, I've gone for a 4 inch round stainless steel mirror in keeping with the fifties style.

IMG_4784.jpg IMG_4785.jpg

The heater i bought came with a plastic control knob which again does not look like something from the fifties so i decided to make a control knob out of ally. Used 30mm ally bar turned on a manual lathe, internal recess bore to match the switch shaft which has a hex profile.
Milled a hex profile on round silver steel bar with a dividing head, this was used as a punch to match the switch shaft hex profile, the knob was held in the lathe chuck while the hex profile silver steel bar was held in the tail stock chuck and wound into the internal bore of the knob to cut the hex shape, a knurling tool cut the serrated edge plus all edges are chamfered.

Machined a steel plate to match the self aligning bearing mounts etc, this has been welded into the front sub frame to both align and hold the steering column shaft, more pictures to follow.

IMG_4780.jpg

Machined plate and bearing.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 27th November 2014 at 20:43..