Thread: F 275gtb/z3
View Single Post
Old 21st January 2015, 12:24

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road
Default DVLA and taxing problems

I have found another Z3 and negotiated a sale but just before going to pick it up I found it was recorded as a total loss! The present owner had received a cash settlement from the other driver's insurance after being hit while parked (after advertising the car) and they had wrongly put a total loss marker against it but admitted their error and removed it, but too late for me to travel and collect it. They have offered to re-imburse me for my expenses (amazing!)
The other part of the story is the appalling new DVLA online taxing system which does not recognise that a vehicle is SORNED when you re-tax it and insists that you pay all the back tax. The new owner normally has to pay for a whole month and the seller only gets back any unused WHOLE months - nice little earner for the Government! I decided that I would wait to the 1st of next month (which happens to be a Sunday) to collect but you can't pay for tax in advance and it still insists you pay for the whole month and when it runs into any difficulty it says go to your nearest Post office (on a Sunday?). What a mess! I spoke to my local Postmaster and he said yes it is a mess but keep all the documents with you when you travel and come to me on the Monday. If I get stopped or flashed I MAY get off with a warning.