View Single Post
Old 31st August 2012, 11:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriniMan View Post
The UK actually has a reputation of 'gold plating' EU legislation making quite sensible rules into rigid stupidity.
Hmm, I would tend to disagree with that in respect of vehicle regulations. At the moment we have a great deal of freedom to build and modify motor vehicles.

I can't see any UK Government (so long as we don't vote the Green party in) adopting that particular Draconian bit of EU legislation as it stands. Tens of thousands of voters own or aspire to owning modified cars and it would instantly kill thousands of businesses that modify cars or supply the industry, including some high profile companies that sell very expensive armoured limousines to MP's.

Bear in mind that, the way it's written, the Armageddon thing would prohibit you from even fitting a different wheel and tyre combination or spraying your vehicle another colour (thereby altering its appearance) virtually every second hand BMW and Corsa would have to be scrapped.

There's also the matter of the UK having a long history of not applying new legislation retrospectively to existing vehicles - no seatbelts needed in pre '65 cars, only one brake light needed on pre '71 cars etc.

So, scary though it is, I can't see our Government buying into something that's going to adversely affect the UK economy or disaffect tens of thousands of voters. I hope...