Thread: V8 Engine
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2014, 09:10

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
V8 + Small Chassis Triumph = Twisty Twisty Chassis?
Just my gut reaction but forgetting the space consideration im not sure I would be happy subjecting a Small Triumph Chassis to the power and torque of a V8, good luck with it anyway, prove me wrong!
I dunno, my Spyder chassis just about copes with the formidable 79bhp that my straight six feeds to the back wheels. I reckon it could easily cope with another five, maybe even six horsepower without overloading the chassis.

Actually, it depends how you want to drive and what you want from the car. Even with unmodified Triumph cast iron lumps these cars feel quick due to the light weight, and it's really easy to unstick the back end if that's what you want. Every car has its limits and you simply adjust your driving style to stay safe.

There are loads of chassis and suspension upgrades for the Spit/Herald/Vitesse/GT6 and it wouldn't be too difficult to build a very high performance car out of one of these kits. As an example, Phil and Barry have taken their cars on a classic cars track day and on road tyres and basic Triumph suspension their lap times were competitive with the early Porsche 911's.

As for the noise it makes, which is an important part of the experience imho, the six pots, and even the fours sound awesome with a straight through silencer fitted, but I can understand if anyone wanted a v8 burble or bike scream instead if that's your bag.

If you want to fit a V8, hyabusa or even a Veyron lump just because you can I say go ahead. Get the brakes and suspension properly sorted, treat the resultant beast with the respect it deserves on the road and you'll be fine.