View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 14:50

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Roadster - Welcome back, hope your new job is going well and thanks for the encouragement.

I am now pretty confident that the worst of the lumpy bits will have been taken care of by the time I am finished.

But I don't think I will really know what it is going to finally look like until the dark top coat goes on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Limited Sunday Service:
I sanded down a larger section of the bonnet and the etch primer highlights some of the low spots.
( Ignore the grey on the bonnet bulge, that was done separately. )

Although they are not as deep as they may look and I want to see what difference (if any) the high build primer makes.

So after cleaning the surface down, the etch primer went on.

I also did the passenger side of the cockpit.

Now at this point I have not removed any of the accessories (lights, mirrors, etc.), so the car is still road legal.

Which means it was OK to drive it out onto the road to get a better look in the sunlight.

The first thing to note is that Mister Towed's top tip about painting the car silver is just that.

As the light grey is so reflective I can't actually see how straight, or otherwise, the body shell is.

But on the face of it, the driver's side is definitely in the right ballpark (give or take a bit).

A quick three point turn later and the sun was really making the bonnet shine to much to see anything.

The passenger side.

Now as the sun was shining, I couldn't resist driving the long way around a few blocks so that the car was pointing in the right direction for the driveway.

The other reason I haven't started stripping the car down is that I applied for a race track slot at the Goodwood Breakfast Club - Soft Top Sunday (4th June).

Unfortunately, I don't know when they send the confirmations out, other than "nearer the time", so I might have to chase that up during the week.

However, I have identified the last few areas for some major filler/reshaping work.

I need to blend in both of the body shell extensions back to their respective cockpit sides.
( So I will remove the lower strap brackets for better access. )

I am also going to do some work on the area around the rear corner of the cockpit on the driver's side.
( Where the contour of the rear wheel arch passes close to the cockpit. )

Unfortunately, with a long list of domestic chores to tackle that was all for today.

So until next time, take care, Paul.