View Single Post
Old 29th May 2012, 14:47

nutter is on a distinguished road

If you not sure what earthing methods, cable cross section, separate earths, Part P and voltage drops. Then for what you are asking for I would suggest you find a suitable sparkie.

Part-P is a legal signoff on works that is done by a sparkie at the end of an installation. It was brought in to try and prevent non-component, poor DIYer doing dangerous electrical changes to thier home, making it a fire hazard and dangerous. (Most house fires are a result of poor electrical wiring or plugs)
All electrical work in a bathroom, kitchen or outside of your house will need a Part-P certificate. Because of the risk of a person coming in contact with water and electricity at the same time.

As you want to add some serious power in your shed, i would advise getting a sparkie invovled
Even though you say you dont want to use all 5 double extensions at the same time the behind scenes wiring must be able to support that load. (in case you forget to turn things off) Otherwise a fire is a possibilty, in a shed this is not good news.

Be aware the main consumer unit must be RCD protected (resettable fuses). If your consumer unit is not already RCD based, a sparkie will insist on it being RCD. You may need to upgrade this as well with live electricity around this is definitly one for the sparkie.

As for another consumer unit in the shed, this is a good idea. for lighting this should be on a 5Amp cirucit, so a seperate fuse here for the extensions and lighting is a good call.
The external socket on the shed for the lawnmower, will need to be RCD, this can be done on you shed consumer unit. (RCD for internal sockets,RCD for ligthing, RCD for external socket)

To keep the costs down, you can might be able to find yourself a sparkie, who will oversee your work.
You run the cable through your loft, secure it etc, but not connect it either end.
You screw the consumer unit to the inside of your shed.
You add extensions where you want them.
You run the wires, between the extensions.

Then you get the sparkie to check you work, make the Live connections to everything.
Check it is safe to use, then issue you with a Part-P certifcate.

You will need a PART-P certificate for the installation when you want to sell your house.

I have done things like this on my own home, including a complete re-wire of the kitchen, I did all the work got it inspected and signed of by a sparkie, who gave me a PART-P for it.

I hope that helps.
Steve