View Single Post
Old 4th October 2015, 15:36

IanA is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing a Z3 Mirror

Another little job to hide the BMW origins is to replace the door mirrors. I'd bought a pair of suitable chromy round devices that looked as if I could use the original mounting holes. Correct!!!

First I removed the existing mirror which was held on by some M5 socket screws. Whilst wrapping the doors some time ago I had disconnected the electrics. I attacked the bodywork with an angle grinder to key the filler:

Then I taped over the cable hole, inserted some well greased M5 button head screws and filled the indentation with P40 Isopon- the one with glass strands embedded:

Then I used a skim of ordinary filler to bring the level up- I sanded to the contours and level of the wrap on the doors. The first layer of high-build primer is likely to be that thick anyway.

Then a temporary piece of wrap to hide the evidence:

While the filling and sanding was going on- I'd dunked the fixing brackets (mild steel !!!) in Hammerite to give the plot some longevity.

Then the time came to fit the mirror itself- result!!!

The view out the back is OK- not as wide angle as the originals but then they don't protrude as much either.

Just need another dry afternoon to fit the nearside one. Should be quicker...

Last edited by IanA; 16th October 2015 at 08:30..