View Single Post
Old 7th August 2011, 14:14

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Are there any other cars that you think could be used? my brother really likes the cars you're building but worries about the age of the Herald.
Gary.
Not sure why he's worrying about the Heralds age in a Scimitar based thread ! LOL....

The donors are classics in their own right for various reasons....seperate chassis , tax exemption , cheap donors , non SVA etc. but that doesn't mean you are totally restricted to them as the donor....We supply an outer skin style bodyshell that can be fitted to any chassis that is dimensionally correct - in other words , pick a set of running gear that will work , trackwise , height etc and you , or someone , can make a spaceframe or box style chassis to suit.
We have a background in box or ladder style chassis , similar to the classic versions under various seperate bodied cars ...Ford Pops etc...so we could build a chassis in that style with bulkhead hoops etc to fit the bodies ...very similar to a Sammio Spyder format...Spaceframes isn't my field really but , depending on your location , I can point you in the right direction...

The Spyder body is a tricky one to find alternative donor running gear for as it has a fairly narrow track ....we are working on a wider version to accept MX5 drivetrain , so that may be an option.
Our 550 really needs to be rear engined , but again , a new chassis and virtually every new bit you could want for a Beetle , is available aftermarket ...so building new is an option there...

The G-46 is a 99' wheelbased , 5.5' tracked car ....so no obvious donors except the MX5 again that will fit trackwise but need a stretched wheelbase - pretty simple as they have a front and rear subframe style under carriage.

An MX5 powered G-46 could be a great car ......food for thought.