View Single Post
Old 18th June 2017, 01:20

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default Six and out

The main rear cross member is covered by a long piece of Sapele, cut and shaped to separate the well behind the seats and retain any items placed there. It is screwed onto a U shaped aluminium sheet, which is bolted onto the cross member, with more Sapele holding some Kenwood speakers.

This project has tested my woodwork and metalwork skills mostly acquired at school, quite a few years ago. I always found wood the easier of the two, along with it's innate beauty.

38 wooden cross member and speaker R.jpg

The leather has a tenuous link to Ferrari style and the upholsterer said he would use 10mm thick foam which was more than I thought required. His result did not suit and I took it all apart and stitched in some 3mm foam on our own sewing machine. The carpeting is modest in fitment and will be replaced at or after the body paint spraying. 'Vanmats' carpet and adhesive.

19 rear well and shelf.jpg

The rear suspension tops are covered with painted tow ball covers.

41 wood cross member front and susp cover.jpg

Interior lights never seem to be bright enough, so I adapted the holder and fitted a 21w festoon bulb with a laminated glass cover. The heat generated means an led is needed, perhaps.

37 interior light in glass with 21w festoon bulb.jpg

The door entrance gives an idea of sealing complexity. The top seal on the door is Fiesta and on the car is a leaf / tube seal. The upright has a large tube on the body and a small tube on the frame. Replacement door seals will go in after the painting.

34 R door entrance.JPG

It has been a few years since I first met Chris in his roadside garage workshop and I embarked on something more complex than I anticipated, but the 275GTB has long been, in my view, the culmination of Farina's most beautiful car [Ferrari]. The last of the curvaceous panels before the wedges of the 70s.

I thank Chris for the panels and wish Dan well in the years ahead with his convertible version. It has been an expensive project in terms of time, effort and money, but only time will tell if it has been as worthwhile as I believe.

Updates may follow if interesting.