View Single Post
Old 1st November 2019, 20:18
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Engine running....

Today was a momentous day in my somewhat protracted build.

Last week I spent a day troubleshooting a strange electrical fault. I thought there was a fault with my ignition switch but I eventually worked out that a light green wire for the heater was swapped with a normal green wire for the dashboard instruments. I have no idea how they got mixed up but easy to fix.

Yesterday, I fitted my new Bosch HP fuel pump so today I primed the pumps, and then re-installed and connected up the ignition coil packs.

That only left one thing to do and that was to turn the key and see if it would start.

It started first time but immediately died and then wouldn't start again. I quick check over and I found I had left the fuel pump fuse out after priming the pumps

After re-inserting the missing fuse I then restarted and it ran fine albeit a bit clattery while the oil filled the tappets, etc.
After a spot of lunch and a quick check over, I then ran the engine at 2000rpm for 20 minutes to 'set' the catalytic converter. (Recommended by the supplier)

Everything seemed fine with the electric fan cutting in and out at the set temperature.

Here is the obligatory video ....

BMW Engine running again by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I last ran the engine in the BMW donor car in October 2014 and can't believe it's taken 5 years to get to this stage! I installed the painted body tub this time last year on the 3rd November 2018.

I am very pleased that the engine is running smoothly with no rattles or noises.

Further checking showed the Tacho, Oil pressure, Coolant temperature, Fuel gauge and Clock all working fine. The car is still raised on jacks so I was able to test the clutch, prop, rear drive which all work fine but the Speedo has so far refused to budge?

I also checked the engine with my fault code reader and there were no fault codes bar the EVAP purge valve which is not fitted.

Once I get the Speedo working I can think about refitting the wheels and driving out of the garage for the first time.

Happy days.............

Peter

Last edited by peterux; 1st November 2019 at 20:21.. Reason: video added